Monday, June 3, 2013

GETTING READY FOR SUMMER

GARDENING 

 
Oh, my, I have definitely not lived up to my plan of posting at least once a month, and had actually hoped to post once a week.  But I do have a good excuse.  I closed up my work apartment in Bloomfield, Connecticut and am taking the summer off from court reporting.
 
So, as I was busily getting the pots on my lake house deck planted and ready for summer, I realized that I was wearing a pair of cropped jeans that I had embellished many years ago.  Nancy Zieman, www.sewingwithnancy.com, has several videos on line of projects and ways to make or embellish what you have bought in a store.  So here I am in my fancy, wear to garden, store bought, embellished jeans.  I think I embellished these jeans because they had a hole in the front and I wanted to cover it!!
    So here they are:
 
And you can see I am busily planting away, which is why the above picture shows some dirt on the pants.  Not to mention my husband/photographer simply could not seem to get a close-up shot of the jeans.  So sorry, but hopefully you get the idea.  There are little squares of fabric placed all over and sewn on with a button in the middle.  Then I cuffed them with a gingham plaid.
 
SUMMER DRESS
Here is a nice summer dress that I made to wear in the evenings.  It was made originally to wear out to dinner at a sailing resort in the British Virgin Island, The Bitter End.  Bathing suits and coverups all day, and a nice dress in the evening.  This one is made of cotton knit with fish appliques.  I ruffled the edge of the overlay on top and the edges of the sleeves simply by stretching the fabric as I sewed a very tight zigzag stitch over the edge.

 
SUMMER FLOWERS AND WALL HANGING

This is to give you a peak at the flowers now that they are planted.  I will try to remember to post them later in the season when they are full grown.  Also, the wall hanging is a piece of driftwood that I found on a hike in Connecticut.  It is so perfect for a lake house!!
Begonias

Peonies

 
And last but not least, if you are an Ohio State Football (Buckeye) fan, you will appreciate our hanging in with the flowers.  Our son, granddaughter and grandson graduated from OSU, and our grandson played football for OSU and not plays for the Patriots.  So we are major OSU fans!
 


 
Hostas
That's it until I post again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment